I’m a sceptic. I’m an over – analyser. These are either good traits or terrible ones depending on who you ask. To the more religious they are not seen as good traits at all. And this project really is the result of friction between my view point and theirs. I growing up in the climate I did do not mind attacking religious institutions to me their mistakes make them fair game and it’s our right to hold them accountable. To take a line from my stand up set,
“The catholic church has lost touch with a lot of young people in Ireland,
Which is primarily due to touching young people in Ireland.
I am a sceptic, and a happy one. To quote a line from Douglas Adams and The Hitchhikers Guide To The Galaxy "Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too?"
As an over analyser I find it hard to reconcile the stories of the bible, with the facts. Simple things that people of faith have the ability to move past. Things such as there being NO archaeological evidence of the large scale exodus of people from Egypt as depicted in the bible.
To a person of faith this does not pose any dilemma but to me it does. Also if you were to add up the mass of the number of recognized pieces of the cross that Jesus died on in the world they would combine to create a structure larger that the Dublin Spire. This would explain why creationists are so against evolution because the only person who could fit on a cross that size would be King Kong. So he’s not only King Kong but he’s also the King of Kings.
The Bible is very clearly a man made product. The four main gospels have all been dated to at least a hundred and fifty years after the time period of Jesus supposed existence. This means that social changes that had happened since then had clearly an effect on the retrospective writings of. I mean how couldn’t you as an author change it?
I met the cardinal who translated the Bible into Irish and I had to ask myself why didn’t he change it? Give it a happy ending, instead of Jesus dying on the cross, Jesus danced at the cross roads!
But I get that I don't understand Religion. I don't have the predispostion for that frame of mind. And i'd like to live and let live leave the religious to there beliefs however flawed i feel them and i'll live in my happy rational bubble, but know creationism is on the rise and i'll be damned if i'm going to sit back and let the scientific equivalant of a wizard did it be taught to the next generation.
(P.S. Both Images are my own photoshop jobs, and are cleaned up versions of earlier slides from my comedy routein)

i'm not sure what to do with this. is it a reaction to blake? is it simply a snippet from your stand-up routine? are you going to use joe pesci and _lord of the rings_ to convey a religious message? how does it relate to your project exactly (since you referred to it in your third sentence)?
ReplyDeleteah yeah i had planned to do an e learning little game to explain evolution to kids i suppose this kind of explains the station my train of thought departed from
ReplyDeletedoes either of the drafts you turned in today relate to the game? or is this another project idea?
ReplyDeleteYes,the draft I handed in with D.A.R.W.I.N. and his dog Beagle relates to the game. D.A.R.W.I.N is meant to be a follow on, from Charles Darwin and the name of his dog Beagle is a reference to his famous Beagle voyages. In the short draft i handed up D.A.R.W.I.N. the robot has created the time-bio dome a device that allows him to witness Evoultion in sped up time. I was under the impression from the course blog where it said "Start writing the story! Start writing the content for the website" that I should write a little piece to introduce the characters and story, so I wrote up the introduction for both games.
ReplyDelete