The little robot first slowly opened his eyes on a warm yet foggy February 12th. His gears and motors enthusiastically clicked and whirled. His very first movements buzzed with anticipation, everything was a new thrill. Slowly his world came in to focus, out of the vibrant colours details emerged. His little metallic body fully wound up, he eagerly swivelled his head all around taking things in.
He was perched in a large wooden crate filled with snow like polystyrene on a sandy work bench. Many odd and curious shaped tools were scattered and sprinkled along the surface. He was inside a homely, snug little lab. But most important of all his observations, in front of him, there stood the most curious and teeny old woman indeed. She had a round, kindly, and crinkly face. On top of her head, bright purple hair whisped around, like candy floss. “Hello little fellow” she half spoke, half chuckled, her eyes twinkling behind her large horn rimmed glasses. “My name is Margaret Fond.”
“Let’s see if your programming’s working” she beamed. “Where are you?” The little robot tilted his head. He felt an exhilarating teeny zolt as his processor jumped to life. Straightening up, he confidently announced “I’m on the Galápagos Islands” “Hee hee, gosh, yes. That’s right,” she cheerfully exclaimed. “Oh what a bright little thing you are.” The little robot felt his chest heat up with warmth that his computer mind could not measure in Fahrenheit or Celsius. He felt a inexplicably slightly shinier. “Would you like to try another question dear?” Margaret enquired full of zest, unable to hold back her enthusiasm.
The little robot was enjoying itself and rapidly nodded his head in agreement. It did so with such gusto, I might add, that all it could see was a blur. Margaret grinned up at the undersized android, clearly happy with its keenness. “Do you know why you are here?” A zing from the processor zoopped through the robot for a second time. With a confident posture, similar to his previous pose, he responded. “I’m here to be your research assistant and help you with your work into evolution.”
“Right on the button! But it’s so much more than that,” she exclaimed energetically. “You’ll be sharing my tremendous, marvellous, superb exploration back down the path all life has journeyed on.” A buzz of excitement sparked through the little robots circuits. That sounded like a great adventure. Margaret clapped her hands together. “Ok little guy, one last question, what do I call you? The little robot felt the zing again and answered “I am a know as a Digitally Affable Robot with Intelligent Nanoids”
“Hmmm,” pondered Margaret out loud, “that’s a bit stuffy for a cute little machine like you. I know how about D.A.R.W.I.N. for short”

Great stuff...though I have to be a little picky here and say that "nanoid" is an adjective rather than a noun...you can claim poetic license if you absolutely must...
ReplyDelete[freewrite, full marks]
haha Poetic license duly claimed
ReplyDelete