Monday, November 2, 2009

Peer Review Review

I thoroughly enjoyed the peer review process because it lends itself to a more in depth multi angled and penetrating critique. What was picked upon and I mentioned it myself in the self assessment is that the digital elements of my project work have not been clearly represented. This is tied into your question of where the players enter the game. This is an issue i must address because if I am honest I am still stuck in the animation mind set of my post grad and i am still approaching this as an animated short. This has caused me to wonder if i have the capabilities or proper frame of mind to actually create a game or would it be better to play to my strengths and have the game set up as a series of flash animated films hosted on a interactive website? If i decide to focus on the project as a series of animated movies it’ll liberate my work flow to concentrate on the story telling, making the characters relatable for children and there for adding entertainment and interest to the delivery of the educational material. I feel this might be of better use and value to my project as striking this balance; it is of an element of core importance to the project’s success. In essence and to sum it up with a bad pun it’ll stop me from getting bogged down in the nuts and bolts of D.A.R.W.I.N. I am extremely happy that the character of D.A.R.W.I.N. seems to be identifiable with the class as this peer review is his firsts steps out in to the very public arena he’ll face if I do create a website.
I do have one criticism of the peer review process is in truth not really a criticism at all. The anonymity factor is largely ineffective by this stage of the game as we all have a rough idea of each others hand writing and discuss the projects outside of class time. I feel it is good to know where the feedback is coming from because given the range of different creative and technological backgrounds in our class it’s useful to be able to frame the criticism within the context of their backgrounds and skill set. This does not mean that we should stop these peer review as a consequence of the loss of anonymity, I still feel it is an incredibly useful tool for creating our projects.

2 comments:

  1. You do realize that you don't have to do any actual animation or website design or game construction for this module, right? You simply have to describe/outline the general mechanics of the game. I think you should stick with your original idea rather than a series of flash movies--move forward from your previous animation projects.
    Regarding the anonymity of the reviews, I'll repeat that this class is unusual in its public aspect. This is the first year that the majority of students have not made their blogs private, and also the first year that they have followed each other and made comments on each other's work. The idea of the workshops is for everyone to approach the pieces as interested, external parties who are trying to comment objectively in a double-blind situation--this is impossible if people feel that their feedback will be judged on the basis of their identity. I'm glad you found it useful overall!

    [full marks]

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wish to carry this project through to my final project and aswell a fullfilling the requirements of this modual see it as an oppurtunity to iron out future problems.

    ReplyDelete